As summer approaches, we look forward to longer days, vacations, and outdoor activities. However, for people with varicose veins, summer can also mean an increase in discomfort and symptoms. So why does this happen? In this article, Dr. Smile Medical Group will explore the reasons why varicose veins worsen in summer and provide some strategies for managing these symptoms.
Varicose veins are swollen, twisted veins that are visible just below the surface of the skin. They commonly appear in the legs but can also form in other parts of the body. Varicose veins are a common condition caused by weakened or damaged vein walls and valves. Several factors can exacerbate varicose veins during the summer:
1. Heat: The high temperatures of summer can cause veins to expand. This expansion makes it more difficult for veins to pump blood back to the heart, resulting in blood pooling in the lower legs and feet. This can lead to increased swelling, throbbing, and discomfort.
2. Dehydration: In the hot summer weather, we tend to sweat more, and if we don’t adequately replenish the lost fluids, dehydration can occur. Dehydration thickens the blood, making it harder for it to flow through veins and increasing the pressure on the vein walls.
3. Lack of movement: Summer vacations may involve long periods of sitting, such as during road trips or long flights. Prolonged sitting can worsen varicose veins as it hampers blood circulation in the lower legs, leading to blood accumulation and increased pressure in the veins.
Managing Varicose Veins in Summer:
While summer may pose challenges for individuals with varicose veins, there are steps you can take to alleviate your symptoms:
1. Stay hydrated: Ensure you drink an adequate amount of fluids throughout the day to avoid dehydration. Water is the best choice as it helps maintain blood volume and promotes better circulation.
2. Stay active: Engage in regular physical activities like walking or swimming to improve blood circulation. Avoid prolonged periods of sitting or inactivity.
3. Use compression stockings: These stockings apply pressure to your lower legs, helping to maintain blood flow and reduce discomfort and swelling.
4. Stay cool: Whenever possible, try to stay in cooler environments to prevent veins from excessively expanding due to heat.
5. Elevate your legs: If you have to sit for long periods, try elevating your legs to improve blood circulation.
It is important to remember that while these strategies can help manage varicose vein symptoms, they do not cure the condition. If your varicose veins cause significant discomfort or concern, it is best to seek professional medical advice.
Understanding why varicose veins worsen in summer can help you take proactive steps to effectively manage your symptoms. Despite the challenges, individuals with varicose veins can still enjoy a healthy and active summer.
Dr. Smile Medical Group is the largest chain of vein centers in Asia, founded in 2014 and headquartered in Shanghai. With a presence in 13 cities across China, including Beijing, Guangzhou, and Shanghai, the group has established itself as a pioneer in the use of cutting-edge technology for the diagnosis and treatment of various types of varicose veins. Dr. Smile’s personalized approach includes a hemodynamic assessment and a focus on different types of varicose veins, ensuring that each patient receives customized treatment. The group is also responsible for the CHIVA global certification and training program, demonstrating its dedication to excellence in the field of venous care. With thousands of patients treated every year, Dr. Smile has become a leading authority in the field, and its experts are regularly invited to participate in CME and global venous forums to share their expertise and insights with fellow practitioner.